Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blue Eyed Grass

Last year - while weeding one of my garden beds - I noticed this grass-like "weed" and decided to leave it there. I wasn't quite sure, but hoped it might be Blue Eyed Grass.

This spring it has increased in volume and for the past week or so it has been blooming. There are several species of this Ontario native, but I believe this is the Common Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium montanum). Each flower only lasts one day, but I have been lucky that this little plant (about 20 cm tall) has produced an abundance of blooms. It belongs to the Iris family and as such - on closer inspection - has the same type of flat, pressed together leaves and when it isn't blooming, it forms a neat little blueish-green tuft.
It hope it will like it here and multiply. 

Words and photos by Lene Rasmussen,Willows.

4 comments:

  1. I can hardly believe all the flowers on one plant. That has to be the most prolific bloomer I've ever seen. Nice to see you 'tamed' it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sådan nogen tror jeg ikke jeg har set før de er flotte :-)
    Birgitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to see blue eyed grass already! I must go out and walk the pasture to see if it's emerged out there yet. Time is flying by this spring, and some plants seem accelerated while others seem to be keeping to their 'normal' bloom schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments! It is very pretty and had multiple flowers for many days now.
    Lene

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - your comments are much appreciated.