Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pond Life

We have two ponds on our property. One is out in the field and serves as water reserve in case of fire as we do not have fire hydrants out here in the country.
The other one is smaller, not as deep, and closer to the house so it is more a part of our garden.
The first couple of years we just left it alone, but the cattail (Typha latifolia) growing in a neighbouring swamp just invaded the pond. We decided to introduce some "desired" native water plants and last year we purchased the following from Acorus Restauration:
Blue-flag Iris (Iris versicolor) was one of the first plants to bloom in the pond early June this year.
The Sweet-scented White Water Lily (Nymphaea odorata, N. tuberosa) has spread beautifully with lots of lily pads floating on the water and new blooms appearing all summer.

The Pickerel Weed (Pontederia condata) didn't disappoint with lots of beautiful blue flowers attracting a variety of insects for a few weeks now.
The flowers of Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) have also been a delight along with it's beautiful "arrowhead" leaves.
The leaves of the Broad leaf Water Plantain (Alisma plantago-aquatica) resemble the well known (annoying weed) plantain, just much larger, but the flowers are quite different. Tiny, white flowers on a large, very "bushy" stem. Really not that spectacular.
Around the edge of the pond there's a variety of sedges and rushes, some of which we have planted and some just appeared. And then there's the residents and visitors:
We have lots of frogs in and around the pond - green, brown and leopard frogs - but they usually jump into the pond as we get closer. A "frog" noise and a splash, but one day, when the water level was lower, I was lucky to get a glimpse of this guy.
The dragon flies are amazing. We have green, blue, yellow-ish ones in all sizes.
I would have liked to capture one of the big ones flying - they are just like tiny helicopters!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures. Good captures on those dragonflies. I recognize all the plants. We bought from Acorus as well for our pond. We don't have water lilies though. I should change that, and add them. I'll have to ask your advice about how best to plant them when I come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, water. I wish we had a source of water for some kind of water feature be it stream or pond. Your pictures make it look idyllic. What a great set of plant additions.

    Your recent comment at MacGardens stimulated me to check out what you have been up to. I must say it's an impressive amount of labor. I've learned more about willows just from following your progress.

    I did plant the 'Hakura Nishiki' this year after seeing the pictures on your site. I must say it's looked pretty sad most of the year. I'm hoping for some better spring growth next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments.
    Yvonne, the water lilies are easy, you'll see them when you come. Take a look at MacGardens' (see comment on this post) for a perfect capture of a dragon fly.


    MacGardens, I'm sure that your 'Hakura Nishiki" will do well once it is established. Willows are easy to grow. Try coppicing it during the dormant season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pond looks lovely. I enjoyed a visit to Acorus about two years ago when I planted my native woodland walk. all the plants are doing really well...looks like yours are doing great too. Here's a cheer for all our lovely native plants.
    p.s. love the frog photo...just about missed him in there.
    irena

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love our pond too!! Our swing is sited aside our and we wnjoy lots of time out there watching the wildlife come and go!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - your comments are much appreciated.